Sunday, January 4, 2009

15 lbs!

"My name is Beth... and I am a Gastric Bypass drop-out"

"HELLO BETH"

That's not exactly how it went but I was a little fearful of going to the "re-activation" class at Kaiser last week.

There were about 8 of us there... all drop-outs. Not everyone confessed their reason(s) for not staying with the program initially, but it didn't really matter... we were back! (My excuse/reason was a romance-gone-wrong but I won't bore you with the gory details.)

I was anticipating some serious finger-shaking but there was none of that. The nutritionist was quite friendly and encouraging. She reiterated the same stuff covered back at the first orientation I attended (back in July of 2006... head hanging in shame!) and some new facts. The most surprising information was that you were hospitalized for just 24 hours, vs. 4 days like they had stated in 2006. Wow... big diff! They even said that many people go back to work "the next day". YIKES!! I mean, I had planned on getting back to things pretty quick since I don't have any disability insurance (because I'm self employed) but next day? Really? I will take that to mean they really have this down to a science... in and out via a couple holes in my stomach.

I was really happy to discover that I had not gained back any of the initial weight I had lost... YEA-ME! I have 15 more lbs. to lose before I get my surgery scheduled. I can do that right?

I am starting their recommended 1,200 calorie/day diet tomorrow. My goal is to have the 15 lbs. off by the end of February. In theory, I could have my surgery in late March/early April. Pretty exciting huh? Check back for updates. I promise to be better about keeping this secret blog current!